Thursday 3 September 2015

Who cares? - Sunday 12th July 2015

Jesus rarely got into specific details in his teaching. He left that for us to work out. For example, when he taught people to make sure they chose the right path, he didn't define that path. It seems that he was saying, “It’s not complicated. You can work that bit out for yourself.”
But in the last few days of his life, he did get down to specifics.
He said: 'God will say to the righteous, “Come and share in eternity. When I was hungry, you fed me. When I was cold, you gave me clothes. When I was ill, you visited me.” But the righteous people will say, “Lord, when did we see you hungry or cold or ill?” And God will reply, “Whenever you saw the least of all these people in need, and cared for them, you cared for me.”’ (from Matthew 25:35f)
So here we have it. This is what God expects of us. There is no mention of rituals or religious observance; there is no mention of personal morality or religious law.
It all boils down to one factor: did we care for those who needed our care when we had an opportunity to care for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment